The Home Depot: Returns Made Easy
Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with your purchase. We take pride in the quality of the products we sell and offering great customer service is our top priority. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please follow the guidelines detailed below and we will be happy to help you to return your purchase.
Returns for items purchased on Homedepot.com:
Online Return Policy Basics
- For your convenience, items purchased on homedepot.com can be returned to any of our retail stores nationwide (Including all The Home Depot retail stores and The Floor Store locations).
- Most merchandise can be returned within 90 days in unused, like-new, 100% saleable condition and in the original manufacturer’s packaging. Live goods and items that use flammable liquids or gases must be returned to one of our stores. Please see the complete list of details and exceptions below.
- All damage and shortage claims should be made within 30 days of delivery. If damaged upon arrival, you have the right to refuse the order. Call an Online Customer Care Specialist at 1-800-430-3376 seven days a week 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET (closed Christmas Day) to report damages and obtain a return authorization number.
- A copy of the packing slip or the customer receipt must accompany all returns.
- A refund will be issued to the original form of payment within 5-7 business days of receiving the returned item at our warehouse. Credit can be given in the form of a The Home Depot Gift Card upon request. Please call 1-800-430-3376 to request a credit via gift card.
Online Return Policy and Product Exceptions
Return Policy Exceptions:
Damaged Items and Shortage Claims: Any damaged or missing items must be reported within 30 days of delivery by calling 1-800-430-3376.
Returning Products Containing Hazardous Materials Due to safety hazards, items that use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned through the mail, even if the item was drained of these materials. This would include items like lawn mowers, leaf blowers and any other items that use flammable liquids or gases. Please return products containing hazardous materials to your local The Home Depot store.
Holiday Décor:Holiday Décor items must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage and/or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Holiday Trees and Wreaths:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Air Conditioners & Generators:Returns must be sent back within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery. Whole house generators or stationary generators are non-returnable and non-refundable.
Gift Cards:The Home Depot Gift Cards are not returnable and cannot be redeemed or exchanged for cash (unless required by law), check, credit, or payment on any credit or loan account nor Tool Rental deposits.
Furniture:Furniture must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Major Appliances:Any Major Appliance product damage must be reported within 48 hours of delivery by calling 1-800-455-3869. After 48 hours, any product issues must be handled through your local The Home Depot store Special Services Desk. Be sure to bring a copy of your sales receipt with you.
Plants & Live Goods:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Tractors:John Deere tractors will be repaired under manufacturer’s warranty, please contact homedepot.com Online Customer Care Team at 1-800-435-4654 for further information between 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET, seven days a week (closed Christmas Day). All other lawn tractors and mowers will be repaired through a service contractor at a local The Home Depot store. Please contact a manager at your local store for more information.
Wallpaper & Flooring Samples:Wallpaper & flooring samples are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample however, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Custom Products:Custom made products such as paint samples and custom cut blinds are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Returns for items purchased at a The Home Depot Store:
Our Store Return Policy Basics
Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.
Return and Product Exceptions
- Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and Gift Cards will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to purchase Gift Cards.
- Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for repair at the customer’s expense, unless covered under warranty.
- Special order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may be subject to 15% restocking fee. See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.
- Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depot’s Store Support Center in Atlanta, GA.
- Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask a store associate about receipt look up.
- The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason.
- Items purchased at The Home Depot U.S., The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders.
- Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges of merchandise are not affected by this rule.
- Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store location where originally purchased.
- Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products: Custom made products and custom tinted paint, utility trailers, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates and Store Credits.
For more information visit Home Depot
Home Depot wouldn't let me return some flooring tools because they said I "reached my return limit without a receipt." What difference does it make if I'm going to get a store card anyway and spend it again there? We own a flooring company and will be taking our business to Lowes where they don't have such ridiculous policies.
My girlfriend and I purchased a GE gas range on October 13, 2014 at the Lemon Grove Home Depot. It arrived on October 15th working just fine. Approximately 3-weeks later the bake function ceased working yet everything else worked. Calls and visits to HD were made thinking a quick service would fix the issue. At this time we learned that Home Depot would take no responsibility or action that any appliance issue must be handled through the OEM (GE). Even though we live in one of the largest population areas of the US".GE has no factory representative there so we were assigned to a third party repair facility with no contract with Home Depot. They couldn't show up for over a week and when they did, they did not have parts on their van to fix the problem (even though model and make was provided).. Given that Thanksgiving is next week and nobody will guarantee a fix by that day (they scheduled another repair visit for Tuesday bfore Thanksgiving however it places us up against the wall with 20 people showing up). Calls to Home Depot home office for a replacement or guaranteed parts delivery went nowhere. Home Depot is adamant that they are not responsible for any appliance purchase yet calls to the OEM stated just the opposite, "Home Depot could fix this by re placement".
Bottom line, you should beware purchasing any appliance from Home Depot. They will Provide inadequate after the sale service and plead Mia culpa as to responsibility. Our understanding based on other consumer sites is that a return will be impossible as HD will claim it is a custom order despite the fact that literally dozens are in the local GE warehouse which they draw inventory from (Home Depot staff has even told me that they only collect money for the product but that the actual sale as far as HD is concerned is between us and GE?). I will never purchase another appliance from Home Depot and only purchase from a company that has local, customer service.
Returns without a hitch
I had to return some grout and a bathtub faucet I had purchased and did not need. The return was quick and easy, the woman at the return counter was very pleasant and helpful. I had receipts for both items, but she told me she didn’t need them, I just needed to swipe my credit card and the refund would be credited to my account. Home Depot has its return counter right at the store entrance, which is very convenient and saves having to lug returns all over the store. Overall, a pleasant and easy experience that made me think highly of Home Depot’s customer service department.
Casper Wy. home depot store refused to return door after this I read Home Depot return- The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason. BS will not be back
No return allowed - 30 day policy lawn tractor
I purchased a Club Cadet Lawn Tractor 6/13 returned for replacement 7/13 due to faulty motor or som other very unusual noise during shut down. Sounded like loose rod or something.
Received new mower that still sounded the same. I kept the mower to see how it performed anyway.
I now have logged just 15 hrs on the replacement mower and it broke. Yje drive system quit working and now it's Memorial Day weekend and I'll be lucky to get it fixed by next week. I wanted to return the unit for a different brand, but store policy is only 30 days. DON'T BUY A CUB CADET ESPECIALLY FROM HOME DEPOT.