The Home Depot: Returns Made Easy
Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with your purchase. We take pride in the quality of the products we sell and offering great customer service is our top priority. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please follow the guidelines detailed below and we will be happy to help you to return your purchase.
Returns for items purchased on Homedepot.com:
Online Return Policy Basics
– For your convenience, items purchased on homedepot.com can be returned to any of our retail stores nationwide (Including all The Home Depot retail stores and The Floor Store locations).
– Most merchandise can be returned within 90 days in unused, like-new, 100% saleable condition and in the original manufacturer’s packaging. Live goods and items that use flammable liquids or gases must be returned to one of our stores. Please see the complete list of details and exceptions below.
– All damage and shortage claims should be made within 30 days of delivery. If damaged upon arrival, you have the right to refuse the order. Call an Online Customer Care Specialist at 1-800-430-3376 seven days a week 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET (closed Christmas Day) to report damages and obtain a return authorization number.
– A copy of the packing slip or the customer receipt must accompany all returns.
– A refund will be issued to the original form of payment within 5-7 business days of receiving the returned item at our warehouse. Credit can be given in the form of a The Home Depot Gift Card upon request. Please call 1-800-430-3376 to request a credit via gift card.
Online Return Policy and Product Exceptions
Return Policy Exceptions:
Damaged Items and Shortage Claims: Any damaged or missing items must be reported within 30 days of delivery by calling 1-800-430-3376.
Returning Products Containing Hazardous Materials Due to safety hazards, items that use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned through the mail, even if the item was drained of these materials. This would include items like lawn mowers, leaf blowers and any other items that use flammable liquids or gases. Please return products containing hazardous materials to your local The Home Depot store.
Holiday Décor:Holiday Décor items must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage and/or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Holiday Trees and Wreaths:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Air Conditioners & Generators:Returns must be sent back within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery. Whole house generators or stationary generators are non-returnable and non-refundable.
Gift Cards:The Home Depot Gift Cards are not returnable and cannot be redeemed or exchanged for cash (unless required by law), check, credit, or payment on any credit or loan account nor Tool Rental deposits.
Furniture:Furniture must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Major Appliances:Any Major Appliance product damage must be reported within 48 hours of delivery by calling 1-800-455-3869. After 48 hours, any product issues must be handled through your local The Home Depot store Special Services Desk. Be sure to bring a copy of your sales receipt with you.
Plants & Live Goods:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Tractors:John Deere tractors will be repaired under manufacturer’s warranty, please contact homedepot.com Online Customer Care Team at 1-800-435-4654 for further information between 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET, seven days a week (closed Christmas Day). All other lawn tractors and mowers will be repaired through a service contractor at a local The Home Depot store. Please contact a manager at your local store for more information.
Wallpaper & Flooring Samples:Wallpaper & flooring samples are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample however, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Custom Products:Custom made products such as paint samples and custom cut blinds are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Returns for items purchased at a The Home Depot Store:
Our Store Return Policy Basics
Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.
Return and Product Exceptions
– Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and Gift Cards will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to purchase Gift Cards.
– Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for repair at the customer’s expense, unless covered under warranty.
– Special order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may be subject to 15% restocking fee. See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.
– Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depot’s Store Support Center in Atlanta, GA.
– Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask a store associate about receipt look up.
– The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason.
– Items purchased at The Home Depot U.S., The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders.
– Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges of merchandise are not affected by this rule.
– Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store location where originally purchased.
– Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products: Custom made products and custom tinted paint, utility trailers, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates and Store Credits.
For more information visit Home Depot
No return without receipt!
I can tell you that The Home Depot does not allow returns on items for which you do not have a receipt. Someone brought me two packs of Bosch blades to use on my Dremel oscillating tool. Of course, Bosch blades do not work on Dremel so I brought the unopened package back to the HD to exchange for the correct blades. Keep in mind that I have been renovating an abandoned house since October of 2015 and have spent THOUSANDS in the HD. The clerk asked for my DL. She typed in my number, and my refund was declined. She tried it three more times with the same result. She gave me a number to call when I got home. I called the number and reached a third party vendor. Turns out, they track non-receipt returns. It was my first, but I am now in their database. Not cool. If you try to return an item without a receipt and they ask for your license do not give it to them or risk being put in their database. I wish I had a Lowe’s closer to my house so I could give them my business.
RETURN OF DEFECTIVE UNIT DENIED
Purchased an LG Washing Machine and when I started using it, it was defective. I spoke with the manager in regards to return it but they refused and told me to deal with LG and request for a brand new one. It's not that I was the one who broke the unit, the machine have a self diagnostic feature and clearly states that the unit is defective. Home Depot wants LG to just repair it...why would I pay $861.00 for a now refurbished unit? IT'S RIDICULOUS FOR THEM TO DENY A RETURN WHEN THEY CLEARLY STATED ON THEIR POLICY THAT RETURNS WILL BE HONORED WITHIN 90 DAYS OF PURCHASE AND IF PROBLEM WAS REPORTED WITHIN 30 DAYS AFTER DELIVERY!!!!
DO NOT BUY AT HOME DEPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ONLY CHOOSING 1 START BECAUSE IT WON'T ALLOW A "NO STAR" RATING!
Home Depot Return Policy-BEWARE!!!
If I could give a minus for a rating I would. BUYER BEWARE!!!!! I had laminate flooring installed by Home Depot. Home Depot sent the estimator and installers. After the floors were installed, I had product left. Returned the unused items to Home Depot and was issued Store Credit. At the time, I said no problem. I purchased another item at a later date and used the store credit for partial payment. When the new item was purchased, I was informed by the clerk if it did not work, no problem just return the item. When submitting payment with the cashier, she did not inform me there could be an issue as store credit would be on the receipt.
Today, I went to returns, the return was denied. I had the unopened
item, original receipt, etc. The return was denied as store credit was on the receipt. I contacted the 3rd party company regarding the denial- they were totally unhelpful and rude- told me to contact Home Depot Corporate. After being informed I could not speak with the Store Manager, the Manager was finally called. He stated lthough my items would not be accepted for return, I should still shop in Home Depot !!!! Is he serious???
Home Depot will not be doing the 2nd floor flooring as I don't want to end up with more store credit. Since the original credit was given due to mistakes by Home Depot- it should have been accepted. Also, when the store credit was given to the cashier, why didn't the cashier state a returns would not be accepted with store credit If she had informed me, I would not have used the store credit. Is this a training issue with the cashiers?? The moral of this review is: PLEASE BE AWARE AND NOT ACCEPT HOME DEPOT STORE CREDIT!!!! From now on, I will be shopping at Lowe's.
never going back to Home Depot again
If I can give 0 stars I would, I am never coming back to Home Depot ever again. We went to Home depot today to buy some stuff for our rental property, but we ended up not needing it so we tried to return it. The items were never used and there was a receipt. We were denied. The Home Depot sales people and manager were unhelpful and explain they could not do anything. The number of the reciept gives you no help at all and are another company. Our mistake in the purchade was using a $10 gift card, but the rest of the purchase was $120 credit card. I am so upset I come from another state, so bringing back 2 chairs, toliet seat, and a bunch of other tools is impossible.
Home depot should make aware of this hidden return policy because they make returns rather difficult NOT EASY. This is my first time where my receipt was denied because I was not deem a worthy customer at Home Depot. If Home Depot decides to do this kind of business. I am no longer shopping at Home Depot
Could not return plant
We bought a few plants a month and half ago. One of the plants turned brown and dried up. We went to Home Depot to return the plant and we had the receipt. The customer service rep said that the name of the plant on the tag and on the receipt were different. We searched for both the names on the receipt (Coleonema Diosma) and on the tag (Coleonema Pulchrum) and showed the rep that both are names for the same plant. Another rep came over and spent several minutes trying to find information. It seems that their system only recognizes then name on the receipt but not the name on the tag! Both of them said that nothing can be done about this and we should bring the right receipt! What right receipt? It’s their system that has incomplete information and their reps cannot understand the simple issue that the name printed on Home Depot tag and the name on the receipt are for the same plant! From now on, we are taking our business elsewhere. If you ever buy another plant from Home Depot, make sure the name on the receipt matches what their tag says. Just keeping the receipt with you doesn’t guarantee that you can return the plant!