The Home Depot: Returns Made Easy
Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with your purchase. We take pride in the quality of the products we sell and offering great customer service is our top priority. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please follow the guidelines detailed below and we will be happy to help you to return your purchase.
Returns for items purchased on Homedepot.com:
Online Return Policy Basics
- For your convenience, items purchased on homedepot.com can be returned to any of our retail stores nationwide (Including all The Home Depot retail stores and The Floor Store locations).
- Most merchandise can be returned within 90 days in unused, like-new, 100% saleable condition and in the original manufacturer’s packaging. Live goods and items that use flammable liquids or gases must be returned to one of our stores. Please see the complete list of details and exceptions below.
- All damage and shortage claims should be made within 30 days of delivery. If damaged upon arrival, you have the right to refuse the order. Call an Online Customer Care Specialist at 1-800-430-3376 seven days a week 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET (closed Christmas Day) to report damages and obtain a return authorization number.
- A copy of the packing slip or the customer receipt must accompany all returns.
- A refund will be issued to the original form of payment within 5-7 business days of receiving the returned item at our warehouse. Credit can be given in the form of a The Home Depot Gift Card upon request. Please call 1-800-430-3376 to request a credit via gift card.
Online Return Policy and Product Exceptions
Return Policy Exceptions:
Damaged Items and Shortage Claims: Any damaged or missing items must be reported within 30 days of delivery by calling 1-800-430-3376.
Returning Products Containing Hazardous Materials Due to safety hazards, items that use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned through the mail, even if the item was drained of these materials. This would include items like lawn mowers, leaf blowers and any other items that use flammable liquids or gases. Please return products containing hazardous materials to your local The Home Depot store.
Holiday Décor:Holiday Décor items must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage and/or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Holiday Trees and Wreaths:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Air Conditioners & Generators:Returns must be sent back within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery. Whole house generators or stationary generators are non-returnable and non-refundable.
Gift Cards:The Home Depot Gift Cards are not returnable and cannot be redeemed or exchanged for cash (unless required by law), check, credit, or payment on any credit or loan account nor Tool Rental deposits.
Furniture:Furniture must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Major Appliances:Any Major Appliance product damage must be reported within 48 hours of delivery by calling 1-800-455-3869. After 48 hours, any product issues must be handled through your local The Home Depot store Special Services Desk. Be sure to bring a copy of your sales receipt with you.
Plants & Live Goods:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Tractors:John Deere tractors will be repaired under manufacturer’s warranty, please contact homedepot.com Online Customer Care Team at 1-800-435-4654 for further information between 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET, seven days a week (closed Christmas Day). All other lawn tractors and mowers will be repaired through a service contractor at a local The Home Depot store. Please contact a manager at your local store for more information.
Wallpaper & Flooring Samples:Wallpaper & flooring samples are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample however, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Custom Products:Custom made products such as paint samples and custom cut blinds are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Returns for items purchased at a The Home Depot Store:
Our Store Return Policy Basics
Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.
Return and Product Exceptions
- Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and Gift Cards will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to purchase Gift Cards.
- Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for repair at the customer’s expense, unless covered under warranty.
- Special order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may be subject to 15% restocking fee. See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.
- Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depot’s Store Support Center in Atlanta, GA.
- Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask a store associate about receipt look up.
- The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason.
- Items purchased at The Home Depot U.S., The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders.
- Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges of merchandise are not affected by this rule.
- Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store location where originally purchased.
- Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products: Custom made products and custom tinted paint, utility trailers, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates and Store Credits.
For more information visit Home Depot
Returns without a hitch
I had to return some grout and a bathtub faucet I had purchased and did not need. The return was quick and easy, the woman at the return counter was very pleasant and helpful. I had receipts for both items, but she told me she didn’t need them, I just needed to swipe my credit card and the refund would be credited to my account. Home Depot has its return counter right at the store entrance, which is very convenient and saves having to lug returns all over the store. Overall, a pleasant and easy experience that made me think highly of Home Depot’s customer service department.
Casper Wy. home depot store refused to return door after this I read Home Depot return- The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason. BS will not be back
No return allowed - 30 day policy lawn tractor
I purchased a Club Cadet Lawn Tractor 6/13 returned for replacement 7/13 due to faulty motor or som other very unusual noise during shut down. Sounded like loose rod or something.
Received new mower that still sounded the same. I kept the mower to see how it performed anyway.
I now have logged just 15 hrs on the replacement mower and it broke. Yje drive system quit working and now it's Memorial Day weekend and I'll be lucky to get it fixed by next week. I wanted to return the unit for a different brand, but store policy is only 30 days. DON'T BUY A CUB CADET ESPECIALLY FROM HOME DEPOT.
Home Depot needs to be sued Class Action fot their returns policy, it is illegal!!!
Home Depot Kitchen Cabinets
Be very cautious in dealing with Home Depot and their special order kitchen cabinets. On October 23, 2013, we ordered 4 base cabinets on special order and paid close to $3000 for them. Home Depot advised the cabinets would be shipped to our local Home Depot in Frazer, PA for pick up on November 6, 2013. Cabinets did not arrive and checking our online HD account revealed no record of the purchase, order or payment. However, our credit card account did show a payment to HD for $2800+ for the cabinets. HD customer service was contacted and advised that someone on their side "dropped the ball" and to give the order a little more time. Finally, our installation contractor advised he had to move on to other jobs.
We again contacted HD customer service and were advised the cabinets would be shipped shortly and were scheduled to be delivered to our residence. We advised HD to cancel the order as we no longer had a contractor and the items had not been delivered as promised. HD claimed the cabinets were in shipment and that we should simply refuse delivery and not sign any receipts from the delivery vendor. On November 17, 2013, a delivery truck arrived at our home and the driver showed a delivery receipt that did not indicate what was actually being delivered. We refused delivery, signed nothing, and the truck, driver and goods departed. HD customer service was advised and stated we would receive a credit to our credit card account when the vendor received the cabinets from the trucking agency. On December 6, 2013, we again contacted HD customer service who showed, again, no records of the purchase, but placed us with a corporate representative who advised the cabinets were a no-return item and that she could not credit our account.
We went through the entire story again, and HD corporate said they would look into it and get back to us. We have now placed the payment in dispute and the credit card company is withholding payment to HD until they finish their own investigation. Beware! Nowhere on the HD site does it state the cabinets are no-return and nowhere on the order form is such a statement. It is hidden away in the FAQ area if you happen to open that online page. So, presently, HD has our money, did not deliver as agreed and the cabinets are somewhere between God knows where and the vendor.