The Home Depot: Returns Made Easy
Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with your purchase. We take pride in the quality of the products we sell and offering great customer service is our top priority. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please follow the guidelines detailed below and we will be happy to help you to return your purchase.
Returns for items purchased on Homedepot.com:
Online Return Policy Basics
– For your convenience, items purchased on homedepot.com can be returned to any of our retail stores nationwide (Including all The Home Depot retail stores and The Floor Store locations).
– Most merchandise can be returned within 90 days in unused, like-new, 100% saleable condition and in the original manufacturer’s packaging. Live goods and items that use flammable liquids or gases must be returned to one of our stores. Please see the complete list of details and exceptions below.
– All damage and shortage claims should be made within 30 days of delivery. If damaged upon arrival, you have the right to refuse the order. Call an Online Customer Care Specialist at 1-800-430-3376 seven days a week 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET (closed Christmas Day) to report damages and obtain a return authorization number.
– A copy of the packing slip or the customer receipt must accompany all returns.
– A refund will be issued to the original form of payment within 5-7 business days of receiving the returned item at our warehouse. Credit can be given in the form of a The Home Depot Gift Card upon request. Please call 1-800-430-3376 to request a credit via gift card.
Online Return Policy and Product Exceptions
Return Policy Exceptions:
Damaged Items and Shortage Claims: Any damaged or missing items must be reported within 30 days of delivery by calling 1-800-430-3376.
Returning Products Containing Hazardous Materials Due to safety hazards, items that use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned through the mail, even if the item was drained of these materials. This would include items like lawn mowers, leaf blowers and any other items that use flammable liquids or gases. Please return products containing hazardous materials to your local The Home Depot store.
Holiday Décor:Holiday Décor items must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage and/or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Holiday Trees and Wreaths:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Air Conditioners & Generators:Returns must be sent back within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery. Whole house generators or stationary generators are non-returnable and non-refundable.
Gift Cards:The Home Depot Gift Cards are not returnable and cannot be redeemed or exchanged for cash (unless required by law), check, credit, or payment on any credit or loan account nor Tool Rental deposits.
Furniture:Furniture must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Major Appliances:Any Major Appliance product damage must be reported within 48 hours of delivery by calling 1-800-455-3869. After 48 hours, any product issues must be handled through your local The Home Depot store Special Services Desk. Be sure to bring a copy of your sales receipt with you.
Plants & Live Goods:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Tractors:John Deere tractors will be repaired under manufacturer’s warranty, please contact homedepot.com Online Customer Care Team at 1-800-435-4654 for further information between 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET, seven days a week (closed Christmas Day). All other lawn tractors and mowers will be repaired through a service contractor at a local The Home Depot store. Please contact a manager at your local store for more information.
Wallpaper & Flooring Samples:Wallpaper & flooring samples are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample however, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Custom Products:Custom made products such as paint samples and custom cut blinds are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Returns for items purchased at a The Home Depot Store:
Our Store Return Policy Basics
Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.
Return and Product Exceptions
– Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and Gift Cards will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to purchase Gift Cards.
– Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for repair at the customer’s expense, unless covered under warranty.
– Special order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may be subject to 15% restocking fee. See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.
– Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depot’s Store Support Center in Atlanta, GA.
– Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask a store associate about receipt look up.
– The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason.
– Items purchased at The Home Depot U.S., The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders.
– Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges of merchandise are not affected by this rule.
– Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store location where originally purchased.
– Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products: Custom made products and custom tinted paint, utility trailers, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates and Store Credits.
For more information visit Home Depot
This will be Depot's demise...
I've been a remodeling contractor for 24 years and watched Depot grow from the start. #1 reason they've become so huge is their return policy. When you go on a repair or retro-fit job, there's no way to precisely anticipate every single fitting, stud, tube of caulk, etc. you'll need. At Depot, thats never been a problem. Grab an extra valve, couple extra studs, whatever. When the jobs done, you head to the returns desk with a bag of misc. items and get a store credit. Because by that time you have a stack of receipts on your desk at home (not in your wallet). Ask any contractor, we all do it and it is exactly why so many of us started shopping there. Now they're changing all that. First question is "Do you have your reciept?", my answer has always been "No, a store credit is fine." Chances are I'm there to buy more stuff anyway. I'm a small company, but still spend 30k a year on my pro account..thats alot of reciepts at $50-$100 per visit, and no I don't keep them all in my truck. What Depot's bean-counters are missing, is this is what made them and it's exactly whats going to break them. Contractors I know are starting to take their business back to the supply houses and lumber yards. Good for them! Most Depot employees seem to have bad attitudes, returns are starting to be a pain, and the item quality keeps getting worse. I've re-opened my Carter Lumber account for those reasons, and hear the same from many contractors. Forget what made you great and you're on your way out. Way to go Depot!
No Refund for Purchased Product Left Behind
We arrived at HD to pick up 2 special order cherry/leaded glass interior doors. There was a very small splintered edge of the door frame that we thought we could cover with reveal trim, so we decided to accept them and work with it. In the process of shrink-wrapping and loading, we leaned 2 pieces of 10' long PVC pipe against the store wall at the loading area. When we arrived home and unloaded the doors, we realized that we'd forgotten to load the PVC. Since we live 35+ miles away, I called, described what it was and where they could find it (they found it) and asked for a refund to my card. I have my receipt, but was told it was not possible, since they could not confirm my ID. What is the probability that this exact event would happen more than once in 1 store in 1 day? It isn't much money, but it IS the abuse of the principle of honesty and integrity that I resent. Enjoy the $6 and change HD, because you CAN!
Samsung appliances return
ITEMS NOT WORKING. HAVE NEW KITCHEN APPLIANCES THAT ARE NOT WORKING. HOME DEPOT WON'T DO A THING - SAY CALL SAMSUNG. SAMSUNG SAYS WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH 620 APPLIANCE - THE ONLY - I REPEAT ONLY - WARRANTY REPAIR COMPANY IN THE WHOLE DAMN STATE OF NEW MEXICO. 620 APPLIANCE IS RUDE AND ALREADY SAYING IT WILL BE WEEKS BEFORE THEY CAN REPAIR OUR APPLIANCES. HAVE DISPUTED APPLIANCE PURCHASE WITH HOME DEPOT CREDIT (CITIBANK) TO BE REFUNDED OR REPLACED. SAMSUNG DOESN'T GIVE A CRAP, HOME DEPOT DOESN'T GIVE A CRAP. I THINK THEY ARE CRAP. AT LEAST WE HAVE CITIBANK BEHIND US. SAMSUNG, HOPE TRUMP BANS YOU, I'M SO DISGUSTED WITH THE WHOLE LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM HOME DEPOT AND SAMSUNG I CAN'T EVEN THINK OF THE WORDS TO EXPRESS MYSELF. WILL FILE A SMALL CLAIMS COURT CLAIM, AND GO TO BBB AS WELL. HOME DEPOT, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR SELLING SUCH JUNK. SHAME ON YOU. HAD TO SELECT A STAR TO POST THIS. SHOULD HAVE -100 STARS.
Returned Multiple Items Without a Problem
My late father-in-law was a handyman and has a garage full of unused and partially used items (plumbing, bathroom accessories, etc.). Almost all of the boxes were opened and torn up (definitely not in any condition to place back on the shelf). I called HD in advance to ask if they accepted items that I had not purchased and did not know how long ago they were purchased and explained the condition of the packaging. I also told them that I did not have a receipt for any of these items but I thought they had been purchased at HD. I was told that they would accept the returns as long as the merchandise was still new. I made sure all the components were in each box before I drove to HD and entered with a cartload of returns. HD couldn't have been more accommodating and pleasant. I walked out of there with a gift card in the amount of $248.00. Kudos to Home Depot!! I am and will remain a loyal customer!!
Home Depot rocks! Returning items is an easy breezy thing to do with friendly customer service workers.