The Home Depot: Returns Made Easy
Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with your purchase. We take pride in the quality of the products we sell and offering great customer service is our top priority. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please follow the guidelines detailed below and we will be happy to help you to return your purchase.
Returns for items purchased on Homedepot.com:
Online Return Policy Basics
– For your convenience, items purchased on homedepot.com can be returned to any of our retail stores nationwide (Including all The Home Depot retail stores and The Floor Store locations).
– Most merchandise can be returned within 90 days in unused, like-new, 100% saleable condition and in the original manufacturer’s packaging. Live goods and items that use flammable liquids or gases must be returned to one of our stores. Please see the complete list of details and exceptions below.
– All damage and shortage claims should be made within 30 days of delivery. If damaged upon arrival, you have the right to refuse the order. Call an Online Customer Care Specialist at 1-800-430-3376 seven days a week 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET (closed Christmas Day) to report damages and obtain a return authorization number.
– A copy of the packing slip or the customer receipt must accompany all returns.
– A refund will be issued to the original form of payment within 5-7 business days of receiving the returned item at our warehouse. Credit can be given in the form of a The Home Depot Gift Card upon request. Please call 1-800-430-3376 to request a credit via gift card.
Online Return Policy and Product Exceptions
Return Policy Exceptions:
Damaged Items and Shortage Claims: Any damaged or missing items must be reported within 30 days of delivery by calling 1-800-430-3376.
Returning Products Containing Hazardous Materials Due to safety hazards, items that use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned through the mail, even if the item was drained of these materials. This would include items like lawn mowers, leaf blowers and any other items that use flammable liquids or gases. Please return products containing hazardous materials to your local The Home Depot store.
Holiday Décor:Holiday Décor items must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage and/or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Holiday Trees and Wreaths:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Air Conditioners & Generators:Returns must be sent back within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery. Whole house generators or stationary generators are non-returnable and non-refundable.
Gift Cards:The Home Depot Gift Cards are not returnable and cannot be redeemed or exchanged for cash (unless required by law), check, credit, or payment on any credit or loan account nor Tool Rental deposits.
Furniture:Furniture must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Major Appliances:Any Major Appliance product damage must be reported within 48 hours of delivery by calling 1-800-455-3869. After 48 hours, any product issues must be handled through your local The Home Depot store Special Services Desk. Be sure to bring a copy of your sales receipt with you.
Plants & Live Goods:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Tractors:John Deere tractors will be repaired under manufacturer’s warranty, please contact homedepot.com Online Customer Care Team at 1-800-435-4654 for further information between 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET, seven days a week (closed Christmas Day). All other lawn tractors and mowers will be repaired through a service contractor at a local The Home Depot store. Please contact a manager at your local store for more information.
Wallpaper & Flooring Samples:Wallpaper & flooring samples are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample however, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Custom Products:Custom made products such as paint samples and custom cut blinds are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Returns for items purchased at a The Home Depot Store:
Our Store Return Policy Basics
Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.
Return and Product Exceptions
– Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and Gift Cards will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to purchase Gift Cards.
– Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for repair at the customer’s expense, unless covered under warranty.
– Special order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may be subject to 15% restocking fee. See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.
– Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depot’s Store Support Center in Atlanta, GA.
– Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask a store associate about receipt look up.
– The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason.
– Items purchased at The Home Depot U.S., The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders.
– Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges of merchandise are not affected by this rule.
– Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store location where originally purchased.
– Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products: Custom made products and custom tinted paint, utility trailers, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates and Store Credits.
For more information visit Home Depot
Could not return plant
We bought a few plants a month and half ago. One of the plants turned brown and dried up. We went to Home Depot to return the plant and we had the receipt. The customer service rep said that the name of the plant on the tag and on the receipt were different. We searched for both the names on the receipt (Coleonema Diosma) and on the tag (Coleonema Pulchrum) and showed the rep that both are names for the same plant. Another rep came over and spent several minutes trying to find information. It seems that their system only recognizes then name on the receipt but not the name on the tag! Both of them said that nothing can be done about this and we should bring the right receipt! What right receipt? It’s their system that has incomplete information and their reps cannot understand the simple issue that the name printed on Home Depot tag and the name on the receipt are for the same plant! From now on, we are taking our business elsewhere. If you ever buy another plant from Home Depot, make sure the name on the receipt matches what their tag says. Just keeping the receipt with you doesn’t guarantee that you can return the plant!
USE LOWES NOT HOME DEPOT
Purchased a washer that was HE and absolutely HATE it. Wanted to return it and buy a more expensive washer to replace the HE. Home Depot employee said on phone to bring it on back. Took it back and now they will not allow the return saying to contact the manufacturer.
I own a business in Brunswick and no longer allow my employees to shop Home Depot.
For the last month I have been helping a friend remodel a home. Last week I attempted to return about $50 of brass fittings that were the wrong size and purchase new fittings of the correct size. I used store credit that he obtained from a previous purchase. The return was denied, something I have never heard of, and we were treated like suspects of an crime. After a couple of hours dealing with this with the local store and the company they contract with, 'The Retail Equation' we were told that we had a negative rating. Hard to imagine that after spending about 30,000 between the two of us a company could consider us 'negative'. So, we have switched to Lowe's and will never go back to Home Depot after being treated so unfairly. While our purchases are tiny compared to their gross numbers it is my hope that enough folks will recoil from this hegemonic and arbitrary behavior and maybe we will get their attention. Gawd, I really hate this company now.
DUMB return policy
Tried to return 2 of 6 2*4's I purchased with a Home Depot Gift Card. I had the receipt, the gift card and the 2*4's with me at the return desk. After doing the return the cashier asked for my ID. I asked for what reason, I had everything needed and no-one asked for my ID at the time of purchase, her answer was because the computer says I have to enter it. WHY??? Home Depot just had their computers hacked, why would I entrust my information to them, WHY???? This is nothing more than a information grab. Therefore, don't make a mistake with a gift card if you don not want Home Depot to have more of your information. DUMB POLICY! P.S. For $6.00 I'll keep the 2*4's and my information - bye bye Home Depot.
CANNOT RETURN items purchased with a STORE CREDIT CARD
Recently made a purchase of $160.00 and supplemented it with a $15.00 store credit card, had to return 4 items on that purchase due to the light switch does not work with Commercial Electric T65 led light. The person working in the electrical dept said that was the switch... Anyways Home Depot will not return any of the items on the receipt because I used a STORE CREDIT CARD. I am filing a dispute. Welcome Lowes