The Home Depot: Returns Made Easy
Our goal is that you are completely satisfied with your purchase. We take pride in the quality of the products we sell and offering great customer service is our top priority. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please follow the guidelines detailed below and we will be happy to help you to return your purchase.
Returns for items purchased on Homedepot.com:
Online Return Policy Basics
– For your convenience, items purchased on homedepot.com can be returned to any of our retail stores nationwide (Including all The Home Depot retail stores and The Floor Store locations).
– Most merchandise can be returned within 90 days in unused, like-new, 100% saleable condition and in the original manufacturer’s packaging. Live goods and items that use flammable liquids or gases must be returned to one of our stores. Please see the complete list of details and exceptions below.
– All damage and shortage claims should be made within 30 days of delivery. If damaged upon arrival, you have the right to refuse the order. Call an Online Customer Care Specialist at 1-800-430-3376 seven days a week 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET (closed Christmas Day) to report damages and obtain a return authorization number.
– A copy of the packing slip or the customer receipt must accompany all returns.
– A refund will be issued to the original form of payment within 5-7 business days of receiving the returned item at our warehouse. Credit can be given in the form of a The Home Depot Gift Card upon request. Please call 1-800-430-3376 to request a credit via gift card.
Online Return Policy and Product Exceptions
Return Policy Exceptions:
Damaged Items and Shortage Claims: Any damaged or missing items must be reported within 30 days of delivery by calling 1-800-430-3376.
Returning Products Containing Hazardous Materials Due to safety hazards, items that use flammable liquids or gases cannot be returned through the mail, even if the item was drained of these materials. This would include items like lawn mowers, leaf blowers and any other items that use flammable liquids or gases. Please return products containing hazardous materials to your local The Home Depot store.
Holiday Décor:Holiday Décor items must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage and/or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Holiday Trees and Wreaths:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Air Conditioners & Generators:Returns must be sent back within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery. Whole house generators or stationary generators are non-returnable and non-refundable.
Gift Cards:The Home Depot Gift Cards are not returnable and cannot be redeemed or exchanged for cash (unless required by law), check, credit, or payment on any credit or loan account nor Tool Rental deposits.
Furniture:Furniture must be returned within 30 days of delivery. Any product damage or defects must be reported within 30 days of delivery.
Major Appliances:Any Major Appliance product damage must be reported within 48 hours of delivery by calling 1-800-455-3869. After 48 hours, any product issues must be handled through your local The Home Depot store Special Services Desk. Be sure to bring a copy of your sales receipt with you.
Plants & Live Goods:Plants and live goods, including cut flowers, holiday trees, wreaths and garland are non-returnable and non-refundable. Please call 1-800-430-3376 within 3 days of delivery to report damaged or dead plants and/or live goods and we will promptly ship a replacement at no charge.
Tractors:John Deere tractors will be repaired under manufacturer’s warranty, please contact homedepot.com Online Customer Care Team at 1-800-435-4654 for further information between 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. ET, seven days a week (closed Christmas Day). All other lawn tractors and mowers will be repaired through a service contractor at a local The Home Depot store. Please contact a manager at your local store for more information.
Wallpaper & Flooring Samples:Wallpaper & flooring samples are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample however, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Custom Products:Custom made products such as paint samples and custom cut blinds are not returnable. If you feel you have received an incorrect sample, please call 1-800-430-3376 for a replacement.
Returns for items purchased at a The Home Depot Store:
Our Store Return Policy Basics
Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via The Home Depot store credit.
Return and Product Exceptions
– Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and Gift Cards will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to purchase Gift Cards.
– Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for repair at the customer’s expense, unless covered under warranty.
– Special order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations may be subject to 15% restocking fee. See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.
– Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depot’s Store Support Center in Atlanta, GA.
– Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last 90 days may be located in our system. Ask a store associate about receipt look up.
– The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the return of merchandise at any time and for any reason.
– Items purchased at The Home Depot U.S., The Home Depot Canada or The Home Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders.
– Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut, and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges of merchandise are not affected by this rule.
– Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store location where originally purchased.
– Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products: Custom made products and custom tinted paint, utility trailers, Gift Cards, Gift Certificates and Store Credits.
For more information visit Home Depot
Home Depot rocks! Returning items is an easy breezy thing to do with friendly customer service workers.
Humiliated just for trying to return items, they tell me I probably had to many returns with no receipt which is absolutely untruth. My husband is a Contractor and has been buying at home depot for years but he is bad at keeping receipts. NEVER-EVER BUYING FROM THEM AGAIN, I have a Lowes near by and other places to do business with. I have found 4 month worth of receipts and will be taking them to the store so they can find the right one for the item I needed to return but I am done doing any business with them.
Don't Buy Appliances - you can't return them!
I purchased a washer/dryer from on the website. Within a couple of weeks, I was told I have to move and could not take them with me. These appliances have never been installed, just sitting in my garage. I was told that buying appliances online that "buyer beware" because you CANNOT return them. Since when does a vendor say, you can't. The representative said there is something on the website that says they are non returnable, but it must have been in some fine print because at no point did I see non-refundable - all sales final - or any language like that. Now I am forced to sell them online myself and lose a few hundred dollars. Never again!! I should have went to Sears or Lowes.
Home Depot Should Close, Give Business to Lowes
I am only giving 1 star because I am forced to. But I can relate to all the other BAD Reviews written. I have been a dedicated and loyal customer of Home Depot's for well over 30 years, spending tens of thousands of dollars , between all my family , friends, peers, customers of mine and business partner's of mine ( EACH YEAR ) I have tried to make returns after my customers have lost the receipts, and that cost came out of my pocket during the working phases of the jobs. I didn't even want any money back. All I wanted to do was trade up for a better tool or materials. Home Depot took my license plugged it into their register and I was denied. So I have had to eat hundreds of dollars worth of unused tools and other materials. I called that third party credit company they hired . That company is a bigger joke than Home Depot. Total invasion of privacy, all for nothing. Every single person I have dealt with over the years at home depot knows me on a 1st name basis. And still no grace of honoring me with a curtesy upgrade. Guess what. Home Depot lost all my business and all the other people I am associated with spending well over $10,000 per year at that joke of a store. Lowes here we come.. BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!
No return without receipt!
I can tell you that The Home Depot does not allow returns on items for which you do not have a receipt. Someone brought me two packs of Bosch blades to use on my Dremel oscillating tool. Of course, Bosch blades do not work on Dremel so I brought the unopened package back to the HD to exchange for the correct blades. Keep in mind that I have been renovating an abandoned house since October of 2015 and have spent THOUSANDS in the HD. The clerk asked for my DL. She typed in my number, and my refund was declined. She tried it three more times with the same result. She gave me a number to call when I got home. I called the number and reached a third party vendor. Turns out, they track non-receipt returns. It was my first, but I am now in their database. Not cool. If you try to return an item without a receipt and they ask for your license do not give it to them or risk being put in their database. I wish I had a Lowe’s closer to my house so I could give them my business.